Tuesday, May 5, 2009

0800 abuse

I see RED!

There are a few emotional trigger point for us "Motellas."

One reoccurring bugbear are telemarketers who insist on calling us on our toll-free 0800 number. Is it me or are these phone calls increasing in frequency? Last week I even had an earnest chap that was managing another accommodation business, who rang me on my toll free number asking for advice about managing motels. Unfortunately he did not get the fireside chat that he was expecting.

Grrrrr...from the outside I try to portray a calm professionalism, however I am a dyed-in-the-wool motelier and 0800 abuse makes my blood start boiling!

Moteliers will know what I am talking about, however for those uninitiated that don't - just think about it. You are a "business person" hawking your wares, ringing a motel and speaking to the owner of the business on their toll free number - making them pay for the pleasure of your call! Would you call your other potential clients "collect?"

For telemarketers that don't get it and insist on phoning me on my 0800 number, the credibility of you and the company you represent immediately goes through the floor.

And the telephone conversation is usually brief!

Click the "Get Widget" link below to place this widget on your website or blog!